Sun | Apr 30, 2017

WICB to discuss BCCI’s US42m claim

Published:Tuesday | November 4, 2014 | 11:00 AMJermaine Lannaman
File Cameron ... WICB president
file Heaven
1
2

Billy Heaven, head of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) and director of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), is hoping that today's emergency board meeting of the regional body will yield tangible solutions to the on-going crisis affecting West Indies cricket.

The meeting, which is set to be held via teleconferencing, is largely expected to deal with issues surrounding a special meeting that was held in Trinidad and Tobago last Friday between WICB president Dave Cameron, West Indies Players Association (WIPA) president Wavell Hinds and West Indies one-day captain Dwayne Bravo.

"I am anticipating that we will look at the different issues that the board is facing at this time," Heaven told The Gleaner.

"This includes the recent meeting that was held in Trinidad, as well as the damage-claims letter that was sent by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)."

Heaven, who will be participating in the discussion, along with Jamaica's other nominated representative on the WI board, JCA first vice-president Dr Donovan Bennett, also expressed hope that the discussions will be fruitful.

"I cannot anticipate what the mood of the board will be like, but I do hope that we will all go in with a frame of mind of finding solutions," he said.

"It is critical matter, not only for the WICB, but also for the people of the Caribbean."

road map

The special meeting in Trinidad, which was convened by St Vincent Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves and his Grenadian counterpart, Dr Keith Mitchell, is said to have created a 'road map' for the way forward.

This includes non-victimisation of the players involved in the India tour boycott, the non-resignation of WIPA President Wavell Hinds and a return to negotiations as it relates to the recent signing of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between WIPA and the WICB.

It is also understood that a Task Force, headed by former West Indies fast bowler Sir Wes Hall and former Barbados Prime Minister David Simmons, was to be established to deal with the impending issues, as well as the claims letter sent by BCCI.

In the letter, the BCCI has asked for compensation of approximately US$42 million to address losses as a result of the West Indies failing to complete their tour of India early last month.

The West Indies were slated to play three Tests, a one-off Twenty20 International and five one-days. However, the players pulled out of the tour after playing only four one-day matches, contending that the recently signed CBA resulted in a loss of income.