Tue | Jan 22, 2019

JC celebrate again/* Old Hope Road boys retain Manning Cup

Published:Sunday | November 23, 2014 | 12:00 AMRobert Bailey
Gladstone Taylor / Photographer Jamaica College's football captain Junior Flemmings (centre) and members of his team celebrate with the Manning Cup after they defeated Charlie Smith High 2-1 in yesterday's final at the National Stadium.

Defending Champions Jamaica College (JC) retained the Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/LIME Manning Cup after a hard-fought 2-1 extra-time win over Charlie Smith High in the final at the National Stadium yesterday.

Captain Junior Flemmings (61st) and Rafique Bryan (96th) were the scorers for the Miguel Coley-coached JC. Bebeto McDonald netted the lone goal for Charlie Smith in the 79th minute.

JC, who are on course to win four titles this season, recently captured the inaugural LIME Super Cup knockout competition. The dark blues are set to meet St George's College in the Walker Cup knockout final on Thursday.

"This feels good because we had to work very hard for this one," said Coley.

Charlie Smith's coach, Jerome Waite, was gracious in defeat.

"Congrats to JC because they are the champions today," said Waite. "I think we fought hard, but when we went one man down, that affected us, but in the end we gave it our best," he added.

the better team

Charlie Smith looked the better team early in the first half, as they dominated possession, while creating a number of scoring chances. However, faulty shooting from their attackers let them down. Charlie Smith's Norval Christie collected a pass from Bebeto McDonald inside the 18-yard box, but his weak shot from 12-yards was saved by goalkeeper Courtney Dowdie.

The speedy McDonald then powered past two defenders inside the penalty box, but with Dowdie at his mercy, his powerful shot went harmlessly over the crossbar.

A few minutes later, Charlie Smith's Anthony Thompson's weak header from a Chevon Crooks' corner was well saved by Dowdie.

JC's best chance of the first half fell to their captain, Flemmings, but his powerful header was brilliantly saved by Charlie Smith's goalkeeper, Leon Taylor.

However, Flemmings made up for his earlier miss six minutes into the second half. He capitalised on a defensive error by his marker, Odane Samuels, to head the ball into the back of the net past an advancing Taylor.

doubling the lead

Flemmings, who was allowed a lot of space by Charlie Smith defenders in the second 45 minutes after being tightly marked in the first half, came close to doubling his team's lead in the 75th minute, but his shot on goal from 10 yards was cleared off the line by Lemmar Stewart.

McDonald, who tormented JC's defenders with his clever dribbling throughout the match, netted the equaliser for Charlie Smith with a spectacular curling shot from 20 yards, which gave Dowdie no chance.

The turning point in the match came when Charlie Smith were reduced to 10 men four minutes into injury time. Lennon Cameron was sent off after picking up a second yellow card.

JC's made good use of the one man advantage and regained the lead when Bryan's 30-yard free-kick took a deflection off a defender before going past Taylor in the Charlie Smith goal.