Wed | Dec 7, 2016

Ajmal to miss World Cup

Published:Sunday | December 28, 2014 | 12:16 AM

ISLAMABAD (AP):

Pakistan's Saeed Ajmal ruled himself out of the World Cup yesterday after the 37-year-old suspended off-spinner decided not to go for official testing of his suspect bowling action.

"Ajmal himself withdrew from the official testing which effectively means he has withdrawn from the World Cup," the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) spokesman Agha Akbar said.

Akbar said Ajmal will hold a news conference in the coming days and will give more details about his decision.

The PCB earlier yesterday said that only Mohammad Hafeez will visit India next week for unofficial testing of his bowling action while Ajmal will continue to work on his bowling action with former Test spinners Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed back home.

Ajmal was suspended in September by the ICC while Hafeez was banned from bowling in international cricket earlier this month after his action was found to be illegal during the first Test against New Zealand.

Earlier yesterday, the PCB said it will send only suspended Mohammad Hafeez to India next week for unofficial testing of his bowling action before applying for ICC's official testing, while Saeed Ajmal will stay in Pakistan.

Former Test spinners Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed, who have worked with Hafeez, agreed that the off-spinner should now be tested at an ICC-accredited laboratory in Chennai, India, before going to the world's governing body for official testing.