Thu | Dec 8, 2016

Sports Briefs

Published:Friday | February 13, 2015 | 12:00 AM
Kieron Pollard

Antigua demands

explanation

ST JOHN'S, Antigua (CMC):

The Antigua and Barbuda Cricket Association (ABCA) is complaining that it was left out of a decision taken by the Leeward Islands Cricket Association (LICA) to support incumbents Dave Cameron and Emmanuel Nanthan for the positions of president and vice-president of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

ABCA president Leon Rodney says he only received an email informing him that LICA has taken a decision to support the re-election of Cameron and Nanthan in the March 7 elections.

ABCA is one of eight associations making up LICA, and Rodney said the decision by the board to support the two incumbents has not been explained.

"We have never had any communications asking what my association thinks," said Rodney.

Former West Indies fast bowler Joel Garner is challenging Cameron's presidency - the only two presidential candidates after nominations closed on Saturday.

Pollard vows to return

PORT-OF-SPAIN,

Trinidad (CMC):

West Indies all-rounder Kieron Pollard has vowed to return "with a vengeance" following his omission from the West Indies team for the ICC cricket World Cup.

Selectors' decision to exclude Pollard and his Trinidad and Tobago teammate Dwayne Bravo from the regional squad has been a subject of raging controversy in the cricket world.

In a commentary published in the Newsday, Pollard said his omission from the squad for cricket's biggest showpiece does not signal the end of his career.

"Despite the omission, I'm definitely not thinking that's my international career over. No way. I'm only 27 and I want to come back with a vengeance," wrote Pollard.

Pollard and Bravo were members of the West Indies team which participated in the aborted tour of India late last year over a pay dispute.

Michael Clarke out

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP):

Michael Clarke has been ruled out of Australia's Cricket World Cup opener against England tomorrow.

Australia coach Darren Lehmann confirmed yesterday that Clarke would not play the highly anticipated game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground despite impressing on Wednesday when he showed good movement, top-scored with 64, and bowled two overs in a warm-up match against the United Arab Emirates.

Lehmann said Clarke remains on track to return for Australia's second game against Bangladesh in Brisbane on February 21. Team medical staff had long earmarked the Brisbane match for Clarke's return, but speculation had been intensifying that the Australian captain would have been ready in time for the tournament opener.