Tue | May 23, 2017

Baugh says there's 'nothing personal' about his decision to leave boyhood club Melbourne

Published:Monday | April 6, 2015 | 4:00 AMJermaine Lannaman
Carlton Baugh saluting his supporters and teammates after scoring a century while representing Melbourne CC in a limited-overs final against Police at Sabina Park.

Wicketkeeper Carlton Baugh Jr says his move from boyhood club Melbourne Cricket Club to St Thomas Cricket Association is not personal. Rather, he said he just needed a change.

Baugh Jr, who in recent times has been at loggerheads with Melbourne over internal matters, recently made the move to St Thomas for the start of this season's Jamaica Cricket Association Senior Cup.

The tournament, which bowled off last weekend, saw Baugh Jr slamming a quickfire 114 for St Thomas against Lucas Cricket Club at Nelson Oval.

"It (the move) is nothing personal. It's just a way of life," said Baugh Jr.

few glitches

"There were a few glitches and hiccups here and there while I was there, but I am a diehard Melbourne man.

"It is there I was born and grew up playing cricket, and the roots will always be there.

"However, sometimes in life, you have to make changes and accept different challenges."

The 32-year-old, who three years ago was dropped from the West Indies team and was earlier this year axed from Jamaica Franchise four-day squad, also explained that the move to St Thomas was a cricketing decision.

"They (St Thomas) are a decent club and can get better," he said.

"I would therefore love to be able to play, contribute and help St Thomas move up.

"There are some good players there, and all they need is help and guidance."

Emerging fast bowlers Keno Wallace and left-handed Gavan Brown, who made their regional first-class debut earlier this season, represent other recognisable players on the St Thomas roster.

hopes for the future

Baugh, who has represented the West Indies in 21 Tests, 47 one-day internationals and three Twenty20s, is hoping that a good season with St Thomas will put him in good stead with the national selectors.

"I was disappointed with the drop, but the selectors have to do what they have to do and players have to do what they have to do," he said.

"But sometimes in life, a wake-up call is good for you.

"By representing St Thomas, I hope to show the kind a calibre player I am, the kind of class player I am, and hopefully, it will get me back in the national team."

The Senior Cup took a break this weekend for the festive holidays and is set to resume next weekend.