Mon | Oct 15, 2018

Grange Hill score big in Westmoreland Street Futsal

Published:Thursday | April 23, 2015 | 12:00 AMLivingston Scott
LIME marketing representative Donna Bartley (left) presents the LIME National Street Futsal parish champions of Westmoreland, Grange Hill Alliance, with their winning cheque of $150,000 at The Manning’s School last Saturday.

Ryan Gayle's four-timer propelled Grange Hill Alliance to the Westmore-land LIME National Street Futsal title at The Manning's School on Sunday.

The Savannah FC central defender and MVP scored in the seventh, 29th, 31st and 40th minutes to help Grange Hill come from 2-0 down to beat Twelve Street 8-4 in the final.

Grange Hill collected $150,000 for their effort and the winning trophy, while runners-up Twelve Street went home with $50,000.

"Scoring goals is a habit," Gayle told The Gleaner. "They expect goals from me because last season I popped up with a few goals."

Gayle, who finished joint top scorer with teammate Dane Spence, with nine goals, noted that last season they fell one short of the parish title and he was pleased to know his goals helped them to complete the job this year.

"It's a great joy [to score goals in the final]. We went into the competition motivated because we didn't win the parish competition last year, so this season, we set out to be the parish champion first and then take it to the Nationals," he said.

Twelve Street went into the final as favourites, after convincing preliminary wins. They hammered Negril Lynch Top Lions 5-1 and also scored 6-0 and 3-2 successes.

They were given a scare by Park FC in the semi-final, as Akean Shackleford netted a hat-trick. But Grange Hill led 5-3 just at the interval, and though Marvin Harding cut the deficit to one for Park FC, Grange Hill held on to secure a 5-4 win and their spot in the final.

In the final, Twelve Street went 2-0 up after only five minutes, with goals from Anthony Myrie and Michael Kerr. Gayle pulled one back for Grange Hill in the seventh minute, but Twelve Street added another two to lead 4-2 at the half.

Grange Hill Alliance regrouped at the break and returned with six unanswered goals, to send their fans in a frenzy and Twelve Street in a spin.

"Last year, we weren't rewarded because we didn't win, and we had that on our shoulders and we wanted to win," said winning captain Garfade Johnson.

"We recruited players with more heart and some who know how to win. We were a more balanced team and we had more fight. We were finalists in Westmoreland and we improved on that, so we want to improve on our semi-final finish at the national championship, and that's our main aim," Johnson added.