Tue | Oct 23, 2018

Unrelenting Seaview rally for KSAFA Major League title

Published:Wednesday | April 29, 2015 | 12:00 AMRobert Bailey

Seaview Gardens turned in a gutsy second-half performance to beat Maverley-Hughenden and capture the Jamaica National/Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) Major League title.

Seaview Gardens had to rally twice for an exciting 3-2 extra-time victory in the final, which was played in front of a capacity crowd on Saturday at Barbican.

Philmore Crumbie-coached Seaview Gardens were led to victory by a double from striker Patrick Richards in the 69th and 102th minutes. Shawn McDonald was also on target for Seaview Gardens in the 89th minute.

Roderick Williams (37th) and Akeem Anglin (86th) were the goalscorers for Maverley-Hughenden.

"I must thank God for this victory because we have worked very hard all season for this trophy," said Crumbie.

"This victory means a lot to the Seaview Gardens community because football brings this community together and I know that we are going to get a lot more support after this victory," Crumbie added.

Jermaine McKoy, captain of Maverley/Hughenden, was disappointed.

"I think we had a very good first half but I think, in the second half, we came out very flat and we stopped doing what we were doing in the first half," he said.

"I think that we didn't show a lot of will and character. But credit to Seaview because they played a well executed second half," McKoy added.

Maverley/Hughenden dominated the early exchanges and were rewarded when Williams fired home from the penalty spot. Anglin was brought down inside the 18-yard box by defender Jason Henry. Maverley/Hughenden led 1-0 at half-time.

Seaview Gardens were quick off the mark in the second period, when Richards gave them the equaliser with a 20-yard free kick which went like a rocket past custodian Robert Beckford.

Maverley/Hughenden regained the lead four minutes from time. Anglin arrived at the back post to head home from close range.

However, McDonald levelled the score in the dying moments with a powerful header.

Maverley-Hughenden only had themselves to blame for the defeat, after Williams' penalty was saved by goalkeeper Mark Henry in the seventh minute of extra time.

Richards then sealed the victory for Seaview Gardens, when he arrived at the near post, tapping in a cross from Kevaughn Clarke.

"My players stuck to the task. We never gave up when we were down and so I must thank them for that," expressed Crumbie.