Sun | Oct 21, 2018

MBU demolish Waterhouse again in return-leg Red Stripe Premier League final

Published:Monday | May 18, 2015 | 12:00 AMPaul Clarke
MBU utility player Cordel Simpson (right), moves in to block a pass from Waterhouse defender Romario Campbell in last night’s Red Stripe Premier League second leg semi-final in Montego Bay.


Montego Bay United (MBU) appear to have Waterhouse's ticket ever since last year's Premier League final. The side from the second city worked magic in their total domination of their opponents, swamping them 5-1 in last night's return-leg semi-final at the Montego Bay Sports Complex, to carve out an 8-2 aggregate and storm into this year's showpiece final.

MoBay United, which won the first-leg 3-1 at Waterhouse, led 3-1 (6-2 on aggregate) at half-time through a sterling display in front of a packed Montego Bay Sports Complex.


first half goal


A first-half goal from Allan Ottey in the 28th minute, a brace from Dino Williams in the 32nd and 52nd minutes, respectively, a 43rd-minute penalty from Lesly St Fleur, and Omar Gordon's strike in the injury time sent MBU into the final in fine style.

"This was what we trained for, domination of any opponent. Tonight we did that, and for this victory to send us back to the final is awesome," said Dr Dean Weatherly, MBU's coach.

"This is a fitting send-off for the CFU championship in Trinidad and a great send-off present," he noted.

The Montegonians leave tomorrow for the twin-island republic where they will participate in the semi-final of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Championship.

"We plan on winning both these competitions to strengthen our claim as not only the best in Jamaica, but also the best in the Caribbean," he said.

Given their hefty advantage from last week Monday, MBU turned up in the second city looking for the knockout blow, which came courtesy of Ottey's early strike on a slick counter attack at the 28th minute.

Williams followed suit with a towering header at the near post that goalkeeper Richard McCallum could do nothing about, at the 32nd minute.




Things got even worse for Waterhouse when a defender brought Orlando McBain down inside the area and a penalty was called by the referee.

Lesly St Fleur made no mistake from the spot, as he rolled the ball past McCallum for a 3-0 lead in the 43rd (6-1 aggregate).

Hometown boy Jermain 'Tuffy' Anderson managed to score for Waterhouse on the stroke of half-time, to reduce the deficit to 3-1 (6-2).

However, just after the half-time break, Williams netted his second of the evening, as goalkeeper McCallum and his defender had their signals mixed up and the striker managed to get a boot on to the ball, which rolled past the keeper and into the net for a 4-1 lead on the night.

Things got worse for the corporate area team when Rohan Amos was issued a red card for frequent fouling, and Gordon completed the final rites with his injury-time finish.