Sun | Jul 22, 2018

'Frog' Holmes leaps into Contender semis

Published:Friday | May 22, 2015 | 12:00 AMLeroy Brown
Richard ‘Frog’ Holmes

Richard 'Frog' Holmes, from Stony Hill's Bruising Gym, earned himself and the Jamaica Green Team another semi-final berth in the Wray and Nephew Middleweight Contender 2015 series by scoring an impressive fourth-round technical knockout (TKO) victory over Derick 'Dangerous' Richmond from Guyana and the Yellow Team, at the Chinese Benevolent Association auditorium, on Wednesday night.

After taking a beating in the third round of a six-round contest, Richmond could not answer the bell for the fourth round, bowing out by the TKO route.

Holmes, who looked much better than in his first fight against Charwin Ethwick, now joins Tsetsi Davis in the last four of the competition.

semi-final spot

Next week, Kemahl Russell will face Kevin Hylton for the third semi-final spot. The winner of the competition will take home $2 million, second place $500,000, third $250,000 and fourth, $200, 000.

Both boxers talked up a storm before the fight and predicted victory, but on the night, it was Holmes who was able to back up his words with action. The first round was fairly quiet as both men took time to size up each other. The punches of note came from Holmes, however. In the first minute, he caught Richmond's attention with a solid right hook to the head. He then landed a few stiff jabs near the end of the round and seconds before the bell, a solid right hook to the head made it clear that he meant business.

Holmes went on the attack again early in the second round, but Richmond was able to score with a few jabs to the body and head. Holmes remained dominant, however, and shook his opponent with a right hook to the body just before the round ended.

Richmond tried gallantly to launch an attack in the third round, but it turned out to be mission impossible. Holmes turned up the heat and Richmond could not find any answers. He seemed like he would go down on two separate occasions, but miraculously stood firm and kept on his feet to the bell.

His trainers worked on him frantically during the interval, but he confided to them that he was hurt and could not continue, and they called it a night.

He showed courage while Holmes took the opportunity to parade his punching power, and it is he who will move to the next round.

Holmes told The Gleaner afterwards, that although he was in very good condition for the fight, he believes that there is still a lot of work to be done before his next match.

"I fought much better than in the last fight, and was able to get my punches off tonight. I hit him with some good shots and was surprised that he did not go down, but I am satisfied with the result. I am really happy to add another win to my record," he ended.