Thu | Aug 17, 2017

AUDIO: Warner ready for battle: I am here ... you know what to do, he tells US prosecutors

Published:Wednesday | May 27, 2015 | 5:00 AMDamion Mitchell, Editor - Radio & Online
Warner ... If the US believes that in some way they want to get to Jack Warner, I am here.

Embattled former football bigwig, Austin 'Jack' Warner, seems prepared to do battle in the corruption case unsealed against him and 13 other FIFA officials and corporate executives this morning in a New York Federal Court.

"If the US believes that in some way they want to get to Jack Warner, I am here," he told Fazeer Mohammed on Trinidad and Tobago's TV6.

 

Jack Warner speaking with Fazeer Mohammed

"I am here in my office. No problem. I don't have to run to them, they know what they have to do," Warner charged.

Of the 14 FIFA officials and corporate executives indicted, seven have so far been arrested.

They include Jeffrey Webb, a sitting FIFA vice president and CONCACAF boss.

READ: FIFA officials, corporate execs indicted in major corruption case

Earlier today, Warner released a statement saying he was innocent of the charges and  had been afforded no due process or even questioned in this matter.

READ: Warner's statement after corruption indictment

According to the US Justice Department, Webb and Warner –  the current and former presidents of CONCACAF –  are charged with racketeering and bribery offences. 

Warner's son convicted in 2013

Warner has been named in this corruption scandal almost two years after his son pleaded guilty to wire fraud.

The US Justice Department says on July 15, 2013, Daryll Warner, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a two-count information charging him with wire fraud and the structuring of financial transactions.

On October 25, 2013, the younger Warner also waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a three-count information charging him with wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and the structuring of financial transactions. 

The younger Warner also forfeited more than US$1.1 million around the time of his plea and has agreed to pay a second forfeiture money judgment at the time of sentencing.

This morning, Mohammed asked Jack Warner about the tsunami of revelations he had claimed would have brought down FIFA upon his resignation in 2011.

However, Warner never addressed the matter.

He said however that no matter what happens, the FIFA congress will begin as scheduled on Friday.

"FIFA has in its establishment 215 countries, the UN has about 190 so that tells you the power of FIFA," Warner said.