Tue | Dec 10, 2019

Sharpes vow to tame Gaters in Game Two of Berger Paints Elite League final

Published:Sunday | June 7, 2015 | 11:12 PMLivingston Scott
Kasey Evering (left) of Clarendon Gators defends against Deneen Taylor (second left) of St James Sharpes, whilst Kadian Dehaney (second right) and Jodi Ann French (right) look on in Game One of the best-of-three final in the Berger Paints Elite League, at the Leila Robinson Courts on Friday night. Gators won 40-38.

NETBALL: Berger Paints Elite League

St James Sharpes' coach, Jennifer Brown, swore at the Leila Robinson Courts on Friday after her team's nail-biting 40-38 defeat to Clarendon Gaters, that things will be different when the teams meet in Game Two of the Berger Paints Elite League on Wednesday at the same venue.

Led by Simone Gordon, with 20 goals from 23 attempts and Kadie-Ann Dehaney, with 19 from 21, coupled with excellent defending from the evergreen Kasey Evering and the young and talented Dehaney, who played out the final quarter as goalkeeper, the Gaters rallied to take the advantage.

"We did not take care of the ball and once you don't keep possession of the ball you are always going to be trailing," Brown said. "Tonight we made unforced errors and really put ourselves under pressure.

"We have a lot of things to think about. Things did not go right and we will go back and sort them out and when we come back on Wednesday, I am sure that a lot of what went wrong tonight (Friday) will be corrected," she swore.

Gaters were off to a great start and Sharpes could find no answer, as the Clarendon team took a 12-6 lead at end the first quarter. But Sharpes improved and won the second stanza 10-8 to trail 16-20 at half-time.

Sharpes went on to turn the game on its head in the third period, as they rallied strongly and took a 28-24 lead with two minutes remaining in the quarter, and led 30-27 going into the final quarter.

The Gaters, however, fought back immediately at the start of the fourth quarter and by midway the period they were tied 34-34. Both teams continued to trade blows until the final minutes, when Gaters nudged ahead and kept their lead to the end.

Gaters' captain, Nicole Aiken-Pinnock, who was substituted after she injured her fingers in the third period but came back in the final quarter to see her team across the line, expects game two to be tougher, saying they will have to work overtime to wrap up the series on Wednesday.

"We will not say (we will win), just let's see at the final whistle. We are coming here for the victory, we want to end this game right now, so the ladies (national players) can concentrate on the World Cup," she said.