Wed | Oct 18, 2017

Aussies win ODI series

Published:Monday | September 14, 2015 | 12:00 AM
Australia's captian Steven Smith celebrates with teammates after winning the One Day International series between England and Australia at Old Trafford cricket ground in Manchester, England, yesterday.


Australia celebrated the consolation prize of winning the one-day series 3-2 against England yesterday amid concerns about concussed home captain Eoin Morgan.

Aaron Finch hit an unbeaten 70 as England were trounced by eight wickets after being dismissed for only 138 at Old Trafford in the deciding fifth ODI. Australia finished on 140-2 in only 24.2 overs.

Finch hit 11 fours in his 64-ball knock, while George Bailey was also undefeated on 41 off 45 balls.

Australia's 3-2 series win came after losing the last two ODIs when England looked set to build on their Ashes success.

But after winning the toss and choosing to bat, England were blown away in only 33 overs, with Morgan forced to retire hurt with a concussion when the hosts were on 22-3.

Morgan was facing his sixth ball of the innings when he turned his head to a 90mph (145kph) bouncer from Mitchell Starc which hit the side of his helmet.

Morgan remained on his feet for a couple of minutes before retreating to the turf when England's medical team arrived in the middle.

Starc played in the Australian domestic match last year when Phillip Hughes died at age 25 after being hit by a bouncer.

"This team has been through a few tough things, none more so than last summer and you don't want to see anything like that happen on a cricket field," Australia captain Steve Smith said. "It was a tough couple of moments, but I thought the boys were really good today."

England's only resistance came from Ben Stokes (42) and Adil Rashid (35 not out).

Stokes aside, England's top eight was unimpressive, with Mitch Marsh and John Hastings claiming combined bowling figures of seven for 48.

England needed Stokes to lead the lower middle order to a rousing response but although the all-rounder tried his best, Marsh had all the answers.

He pounded out a full, testing length and picked up handsome rewards.

Stokes' knock had been the exception, with six boundaries and a clean six over long off, but Marsh won his third leg before the decision to leave England seven down after just 20 overs.

Adil Rashid averted a double-digit total as he drew out stands of 21 and 32 with number 10 Mark Wood and debutant Reece Topley, but the game was up when the latter stepped in front of his stumps against Ashton Agar.