Sat | Jan 19, 2019

DC United deny MBU historic first

Published:Thursday | September 24, 2015 | 12:00 AMPaul Clarke
Montego Bay United’s Dino Williams (left), prepares to shoot ahead of a tackle form Luke Mishu of DC United, during Tuesday night’s Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League match at the Montego Bay Sports Complex. The game ended 3-3.

Dino Williams was left a broken man after Montego Bay United (MBU) allowed DC United a three-goal comeback to deny them their first-ever win in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League on Tuesday night at the Montego Bay Sports Complex.

MBU's left midfield player JermaineWoozencroft, fired them into the lead just after the midway point of the first half, and Williams struck either side of the half to give the hosts what appeared to be a comfortable 3-0 lead.

In what head coach Timothy Hankinson described as the best first half of any side he has coached, his MBU suffered badly in the second half and imploded, as Michael Farfan, Kofi Opare and Jairo Arrieta all scored to earn DC United a share of the points.

'we should have won'

"It was a game we should have won. We wanted to win and reverse that loss in DC," a teary-eyed Williams said.

"It's hard to take because we had them," he continued.

Had them indeed; as Woozencroft controlled a quickly taken free-kick midway the DC United half by Dwayne Ambusley to drill a low shot past the advancing Andrew Dykstra in the DC United goal for the lead in the 27th.

Then in the 30th, the rampaging Donovan Carey's speed took him beyond his defender and found the centre forward in a pocket of space and Williams let fly a thunderous shot to beat Dykstra.

Williams converted from the penalty spot just after the half-time interval, when Carey was brought down inside the area.

Pride was on the line for the host, having already been dumped from advancing to the quarter-final stage of the league with losses to both DC United and Arabe Unido previously, but no one saw what was about to unfold.

the comeback

United, which had already sealed a place in the quarter-final round and were merely playing for seeding, responded to their coach's half-time speech. Arrieta gave them belief when he responded quickest to MBU goalkeeper Jacomeno Barrett's initial block to score.

On the 79th minute marker, Opare netted, to further dent the MBU lead at 3-2 with a diving header at the far post.

The comeback was complete when defender Perry Kitchen's wayward shot found Farfan and the midfielder curled his shot inside the far post, leaving the home crowd and the MBU players disappointed.

"A draw is an improvement against DC for us, but we are disappointed. The first half was simply beautiful football from us, but I think we suffered in the second half because of the lack of concentration," said MBU's Hankinson.

"Dino and Woozecroft had a great game and Carey did well. It's not always about winning these tournaments; it's about learning and getting that experience," stated Hankinson.

MBU will end their fixtures in the Champions League with the return leg against Arabe Unido on October 22.