Thu | Aug 24, 2017

Presidential contender faces 19-year FIFA ban

Published:Wednesday | October 7, 2015 | 10:00 AM

SEOUL, South Korea (AP):

FIFA presidential contender Chung Mong-joon said yesterday than he is facing a 19-year suspension by the ethics committee of the world football body for alleged ethics breaches surrounding South Korea's failed bid for the 2022 World Cup and also for openly criticising the committee.

The South Korean billionaire denied any wrongdoing and accused the committee of acting as a "hit man" of current FIFA President Sepp Blatter, who Chung says is attempting to damage his candidacy.

"The true danger is that they won't stop at sabotaging only my candidacy, but also destructing FIFA's presidential election and FIFA itself," the former FIFA vice-president said in a news conference in Seoul.

Chung said the ethics committee is planning to hit him soon with a 15-year suspension for proposing, in letters to members of FIFA's executive committee, a $777 million fund to finance football development projects around the world.

Chung said his proposals were in line with FIFA's rules. He said FIFA had already investigated the issue in 2010 and determined the matter as closed, but reopened the case after he declared his presidential candidacy in August.