Mon | Oct 23, 2017

FIFA's Webb facing life ban

Published:Thursday | May 5, 2016 | 12:00 AM
Webb

ZURICH, Switzerland (CMC):

Former CONCACAF boss Jeffrey Webb is facing a life ban from football after FIFA's ethics committee opened formal proceedings against him, relating to his recent guilty plea to corruption charges in a United States court last year.

Football's world governing body said yesterday the adjudicatory chamber of the ethics committee would mull over the investigatory chamber's recommendation of "a lifelong ban from all football-related activities" for Webb's violation of its code of ethics.

"The adjudicatory chamber of the ethics committee, chaired by Mr Hans-Joachim Eckert, has opened formal adjudicatory proceedings against Mr Jeffrey Webb based on the final report submitted by the investigatory chamber," FIFA said.

"The adjudicatory chamber has carefully studied the report of the investigatory chamber, under the chairmanship of Dr Cornel Borbely, and decided to institute formal adjudicatory proceedings against Mr Webb, formerly the president of CONCACAF, a vice-president of FIFA, a member of the executive committee of the Caribbean Football Union and the president of the Cayman Islands Football Association.

 

FINAL REPORT

 

"The final report was transmitted to the adjudicatory chamber on 26 April 2016, with a recommended sanction of a lifelong ban from all football-related activities for violations of parts 13, 15, 18, 19 and 21 of the FIFA code of ethics."

The move by FIFA comes after Webb pleaded guilty to one count of racketeering conspiracy, three counts of wire-fraud conspiracy and three counts of money-laundering conspiracy in a New York court last November.

This followed his arrest in a dramatic predawn raid here one year ago as high-level FIFA executives gathered for a highly anticipated presidential election.

He was subsequently deported to the United States to face charges.

FIFA said yesterday Webb would be free to defend himself during the ethics committee proceedings and could also request a hearing if desired.

Webb is currently on bail and awaiting sentencing next month.

The Caymanian was one of several current and former FIFA officials who were arrested and charged in the ongoing US Department of Justice corruption investigation into FIFA.

In a dramatic turn of events last December, Webb's replacement, Honduran Alfredo Hawit, was also arrested on corruption charges and also recently pleaded guilty.

A new president will be elected when CONCACAF holds its congress in Mexico City in just over a week's time, with Bermudian Larry Mussenden, a former attorney General and justice minister, along with Canadian football chief Victor Montagliani, contesting the post.