Hilaire queries 'other factors' behind Sammy axing
CASTRIES, St Lucia (CMC):
Controversial former West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) CEO Dr Ernest Hilaire says he is shocked by the axing of Darren Sammy as Twenty20 captain and has questioned the rationale behind the decision.
St Lucian Hilaire, under whose tenure Sammy was appointed captain in all three formats, told the St Lucia Times he believed the 32-year-old all-rounder still had a valuable contribution to make to the regional side and raised the possibility of "other factors" being at the centre of the move by selectors.
"It is shocking," said Hilaire, who quit the WICB four years ago.
"You would want to believe that there would be a transitional period before another captain is picked, he said, adding that "it is really a shock. Sometimes you wonder whether at the end of the day it is less about performance and more about other factors".
NO FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT
Though no announcement has come from the WICB, Sammy took to his Facebook page on Friday to inform fans he had been axed as captain of the T20 side and also dropped from the squad.
In a sedate yet emotional video, Sammy said he had been told by new chairman of selectors Courtney Browne that his performances had not merited selection.
The move came just four months after Sammy led West Indies to an unprecedented second Twenty20 title when the regional side beat England in a dramatic final in Kolkata, India.
Following the final, however, Sammy was openly critical of the WICB for what he termed as their lack of support for the team during the tournament.
Hilaire, who oversaw one of the most turbulent periods in West Indies cricket after he was appointed in 2009, said Sammy's performances in the ongoing Caribbean Premier League had merited his re-selection.