Sat | Jul 21, 2018

ICC hits Queen’s Park Oval with official warning

Published:Friday | September 9, 2016 | 12:00 AM
Umpires Nigel Llong (right), Gregory Brathwaite (left), and Rod Tucker do the last inspection of the field before calling off day two of the fourth Test cricket match between India and West Indies at Queen’s Park Oval in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, on Friday, August 19.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CMC):

Queen's Park Oval has been slapped with an official warning by the International Cricket Council (ICC) over the sub-standard outfield which wrecked the recent fourth Test between West Indies and India.

Only 1 3/4 hours of play were possible in the game at the Port-of-Spain-based venue after the outfield failed to recover from a heavy downpour on the opening day and remained waterlogged throughout the remaining four days.

The game finished in a no result with India claiming a 2-0 win in the four-match series.

Queen's Park Oval was one of two grounds along with Kingsmead in Durban to receive an official sanction.

"The ICC has today announced that Durban and Port-of-Spain have been given official warnings under the ICC Pitch and Outfield Monitoring Process following the South Africa versus New Zealand and West Indies versus India Tests last month," the ICC said yesterday.

"The sanctions take into account Durban and Port-of-Spain venues' history of producing good conditions for international cricket and commitment by both the boards to take appropriate steps to ensure similar events are not repeated in future."

The ICC's general manager for cricket, Geoff Allardice, along with ICC match referee, David Boon, dealt with the Queen's Park Oval matter, with the sanction decided based on Clause 4 of the Outfield Monitoring Process.

Ranjan Madugalle, the match referee for the Oval Test, had rated the outfield as 'poor'.

The game finished in a farcical manner last month when the last four days of the game were abandoned without a ball bowled because of a soggy outfield at the historic ground, despite the abundance of sunny weather.

Following a delayed start because of the weather, rain returned to halt play just before lunch on the opening day, and action never resumed in the game. The washout sparked debate about the ground's drainage system and mopping-up operations.

The Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board and the Queen's Park Cricket Club announced that they would launch a joint investigation into the matter and present their findings to the West Indies Cricket Board.