Mon | Feb 19, 2018

JC off the mark with easy win

Published:Sunday | September 11, 2016 | 12:00 AMPaul Clarke
St Andrew Technical’s Napoleon Rochester (right) goes into a tackle against Jamaica College’s Chavany Willis in yesterday’s opening Group B match in the 2016 ISSA-FLOW Manning Cup schoolboy football competition at the Montego Bay Sports Complex. JC won 2-0.
Ronaldo Brown (left) of Jamaica College slips past Napoleon Rochester of St Andrew Technical during yesterday'sr opening 2016 ISSA/FLOW Group B Manning Cup encounter at the Montego Bay Sports Complex. JC won 2-0.

Western Bureau:

Defending ISSA-FLOW Manning Cup champions Jamaica College got off the mark in their chase of a fourth straight title with a 2-0 win over St Andrew Technical High School in yesterday's opening Group B match of the 2016 edition of the urban area schoolboy season, played at the Montego Bay Sports Complex.

The opener came courtesy of a first-half strike from Duhaney Williams, who netted in the 24th minute for the Old Hope Road-based school.

The second goal was easy for second-half substitute Norman Campbell, who poked home from close range in time added on for injuries after 90 minutes of action.

It was yet another dominant display by the three-time defending champions, leaving Coach Miguel Coley pleased.

"It was very important to get the three points. I think we can do much better. This was the first game on a surface that was pretty heavy underfoot, but I'm pleased," Coley said.

"I am satisfied that we did get the win, and we look forward to our next match, having ticked this one off," he said.




In a match that lacked the usual intensity, the St Andrew Technical team had little to show, having spent most of the action defending their goal, as JC gained confidence with their passing and off-the-ball running, which the STATHS defenders knew little about at times.

In fact, JC, with better finishing, would have won by a larger margin, but, according to Coley, the 2-0 result rewards his team with three points and the same number of points would have been awarded if had they scored five more goals.

JC's Maliek Howell, Tyreek Magee and Oquin Robinson were a handful for the STATHS defenders and their industry in front of goal was only undermined by poor finishing.

STATHS, on the other hand, were slow and sluggish and could be forgiven for not being more direct, something their coach mentioned in his post-game interview.

"I guess we were a little nervous. We came on pretty well in the second half of the game," said Alrick Clarke, now in his second year as STATHS head coach.

STATHS will have their next game on Thursday, September 15 with a home match against Eltham High, while JC will have to wait until Saturday, September 17 when they host Eltham.