Sat | Feb 24, 2018

Time on pitch aiding Wellington's goal

Published:Monday | September 12, 2016 | 12:00 AMMarc Stamp
Goalscorer Rodico Wellington (centre) of Maverley-Hughenden celebrates scoring against Portmore United with teammates Raymond Williamson (left) and Andrew White, during the Red Stripe Premier League football match at the Constant Spring Sports Complex yesterday. The game ended 1-1.

Rodico Wellington switched from Tivoli Gardens to promoted Maverley-Hughenden on a mission to gain a professional contract overseas.

He scored from the penalty spot in the 58th minute for his new club in its 1-1 draw against Portmore United in the Red Stripe Premier League at Constant Spring yesterday.

Stephen Williams equalised for Portmore United in the 78th minute.

Wellington is on a mission and apart from his offensive run, he played a big role in his team's defensive system.

"I came to Maverley to help this team. I want to get a contract overseas," Wellington, who transferred from Tivoli during the summer, told The Gleaner.

"Right now, I am not at one hundred per cent in terms of fitness but working hard in training to get there," the former Denham Town High Manning Cup captain said.

Maverley-Hughenden moved to four points with the draw from two games, and Wellington, popularly nicknamed 'Rodo', is upbeat about the club.


"We earned a point today and have started the season well. It is a work in progress. But what I like about this team is the discipline. We don't quarrel with each other, but give encouragement," the 20-year-old midfielder disclosed.

"I am really satisfied with the vibe in the camp. The coaches are always encouraging us to give of the best. I see this team doing great things this season," he offered.

When quizzed as to the reason for leaving Tivoli, where he spent 10 years from the junior level to the senior team, Wellington said: "I wanted more playing time to expose my talent, and that was offered at Maverley.

"I'm sure with the quality players and team discipline, we can make it to the top six and take it from there," he added.

Maverley went ahead when Portmore's goalkeeper, Kemar Foster, brought down Omari Edwards in the box and referee Veralton Nembhard pointed to the spot. He then gave Foster a yellow card for the foul challenge.

However, Portmore fought back and scored when Stephen Williams rocketed a left-footed shot past Maverley-Hughenden custodian Damion Campbell.

Portmore's head coach, Linval 'Rudie' Dixon, questioned the referee's penalty decision.

"It was a good point on the road; however, I am upset about the penalty. The referee was not sure and consulted the fourth official," Dixon said.

However, the referee said he was certain of his decision from the outset as he had "pointed to the spot immediately after the challenge".