Sat | Feb 24, 2018

Maverley hold Waterhouse

Published:Friday | October 28, 2016 | 12:00 AMMarc Stamp
Waterhouse's players ( from left) Carlos Wright, Theo Brown and goal scorer Kemar Beckford celebrate the equaliser against Maverley-Hughenden in their Red Stripe Premier League encounter at the Waterhouse Stadium yesterday.

Neighbouring communities Maverley-Hughenden and Waterhouse FC battled to a 1-1 draw in their first meeting in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) at the Waterhouse Stadium yesterday.

Phillip Peddie handed Maverley-Hughenden the lead when he slotted into an unprotected goal in the 10th minute. However, Waterhouse fought back and got the equaliser from substitute Kemar Beckford in the 54th minute.

The point lifted Maverley-Hughenden to nine from eight games while Waterhouse moved to seven points in the 12-team league.

The visitors, with their massive support as they made the short trek over, celebrated early when Peddie benefited from a play created by striker Nicholas Scott. The latter beat Waterhouse goalkeeper George Brown and the ball fell kindly to Peddie.

Beckford came off the bench and scored shortly after he entered the pitch.




Peddie, who was scoring his third goal in the last three consecutive games, was happy that his team did not lose to their neighbours.

"We are getting there as a team. We did not win today but it is on the road, so we picked up a good point," Peddie, who missed his team's first three games and the pre-season because he was away in the United States, told The Gleaner.

Maverley-Hughenden's head coach, Lijyasu Simms, expressed disappointment in his team's sixth draw in eight games.

"I am disappointed as we deserved three points today. We are creating chances but not putting them away," Simms said after the game.

Waterhouse's coach, Michael Francis, was satisfied with the result.

"We played a disciplined game and stayed behind the ball. It's important that we did not lose," said Francis.

The game between Montego Bay United and Arnett Gardens, which was scheduled for Wes Pow Park in St James, was postponed due to a waterlogged field.

"The new match date will be communicated," a release from the Professional Football Association of Jamaica stated.


Yesterday's results


UWI FC 4 Boys' Town 0

Waterhouse 1 Maverley-Hughenden 1

Jamalco 1 Tivoli Gardens 2

Portmore United 1 FC Reno 1