All set for tomorrow's McKenley-Wint Classic
Andrea Hardware, the head of the organising committee for the McKenley/Wint Classic, has declared that all is in place for tomorrow's meet at Calabar High on Red Hills Road.
"We are pulling out all the stops to ensure that we have another good showing ... we want to do better than what we did a year ago because we want to ensure that anything that has to do with the legacy of McKenley and Wint will be of the highest quality," said Hardware.
Hardware was a bit concerned last year about the accommodation of the athletes and fans. New arrangements have now been put in place.
"First, I must thank one of our sponsors, Main Events, which has reached out to us by providing temporary seating to ensure that everyone is comfortable. We are all happy for this because honestly, we did not expect such a big turnout last year, and we do not want our athletes and spectators to be unhappy," Hardware said.
A year ago, there were entries from 62 teams, and Hardware expects that number to be even higher tomorrow.
"On Monday night I was a bit nervous as we had only two entries, but since Tuesday, the numbers have increased significantly," she said. Entries closed on Wednesday.
The Class Two boys 400 metres hurdles starts off proceedings at 8:30 a.m. tomorrow. Also included in this year' schedule for high schools will be the boys' pole vault open.
Competition for clubs and colleges will start at 2 p.m., with males and females with the fastest times over the 400 and 800 metres set to collect cash prizes of $50,000 each, donated by the Calabar past students and families of the late Wint and McKenley.