Tue | Feb 20, 2018

English scores first goal in six years

Published:Monday | January 23, 2017 | 12:00 AMMarc Stamp
Romario Campbell (right) of Waterhouse tries to get past Lennox Russell from Arnett Gardens during yesterday’s Red Stripe Premier League match between the two teams at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex yesterday. Waterhouse won 3-0.

Veteran defender Irvino 'Dada' English came off the bench to score his first Premier League goal in six years to seal the deal in Waterhouse's 3-0 win over Arnett Gardens at the Anthony Spaulding Complex yesterday.

English, who stepped up to bury a free kick after only a minute on the pitch, was obviously elated about his struggling team's victory.

"I came back to the team last year after six years away and scored my first goal. It is always a special feeling to score against rivals Arnett," English told The Gleaner.

The win pushed Water House on to 18 points, but they remained in the relegation zone in 11th position in the 12-team Red Stripe Premier League.

English says this win is encouraging and could turn things around.

"This win could turn things around for us to climb up the table. I missed the league while away, and the fans called for me and I'm here to help put Waterhouse back where they belong," the 38-year-old added. "I'm not where I want to be physically, but I am working hard on fitness. I really believe that the team can finish in the top six as we have quality players and a good coach."

Another substitute, Kemar Beckford, opened the scoring for Waterhouse in the 63rd minute before Romario 'Rum Rum' Campbell converted a chance six minutes later before English's 81st- minute icing on the cake.

Waterhouse, however, finished with ten players as central defender Jeffery Henry received a second yellow card and was ejected by referee Valdin Ledgister in second-half stoppage time.




Waterhouse coach Glendon 'Admiral' Bailey, who was brought in two months ago with the mission to save the team from relegation, believes that he can move them into the championship rounds.

"It is a good victory for us as the team worked hard leading up to the match. The effort and fight were there today. We have to keep working," Bailey said.

"Our main problem is injuries and cards. However, there are a lot of points to play for and my job is to turn things around," he added.

Meanwhile, Arnett's Jerome Waite credited Waterhouse for their determined approach, but believes there was too much physicality in the play.

"It was a very physical game and I think more cards should have been issued. Waterhouse needed points and came to win at all cost," Waite said.


Yesterday's results


Arnett Gardens 0 Waterhouse 3

Montego Bay United 2 Jamalco 1

Maverley-Hughenden 0 UWI FC 1

Reno 1 Portmore United 1

Tivoli 0 Humble Lion 0