Tue | Aug 22, 2017

DQ upset after star leaves for Calabar

Published:Tuesday | January 31, 2017 | 1:00 AMRobert Bailey
Donald Quarrie High School track athlete Jordan Anderson leads a set of long distance runners during preparations ahead of last season’s ISSA-GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Athletics Championships.

Principal of the Donald Quarrie High School Talbert Wire is still crying foul five months after the institution's track star Jordan Anderson's move to Calabar High School.

Anderson won Donald Quarrie's first-ever medal at the ISSA-GraceKennedy Boys and Girls' Athletics Championships last year, capturing the bronze medal the boys Class Three 800m.

His exploits didn't go unnoticed, with champions, Calabar, providing a more attractive option for the youngster, who turned up for school last September in the black and green of the Red Hills Road-based school.

Wire has accused Calabar of taking away his school's only star athlete without any consultation.

"I am not very pleased at all because I wasn't even called by my counterpart to say that 'your school (Calabar) is going to be taking one of my students'," said Wire, who claimed to have learnt of the situation after Anderson did not show up for classes at September's start of the current school year.

"At ISSA meetings, we keep saying to our principal counterparts that they should not do these things. Allow us to groom our students, and if it is a situation that you are going to take the child because the young man has the talent, then communicate with us, but up to this minute, my principal counterpart has not said anything to me and to the Donald Quarrie High School, and we are not pleased," Wire blasted in reference to Calabar principal Albert Corcho, who also serves as an ISSA executive.

"The school celebrated forty years of existence last week and this is our first medal we have ever won at the Boys and Girls' Championships, and we were anticipating that we would use this young man as a stepping stone to obtaining even more medals this year," Wire continued.

Corcho, through his secretary, said he would not comment on the matter.

The Ministry of Education's stipulation for the transfer of students from one school to another is that schools must provide the ministry with an acceptance letter and a release.

The ministry will then sanction the transfer with a third letter. These letters must be submitted to the ministry before he or she can participate in any ISSA-run competition.

 

CONTROL MOVEMENT

 

This rule was signed off in 2015, but it came into effect at the start of the new school year in September 2016.

ISSA's vice-president Keith Wellington noted that the association will only investigate the matter when the student attempts to represent Calabar.

"For us at ISSA, we do not control students moving from one school to another, so when a student transfers from one member school to another, our stipulation is that they sit out a year before they become eligible to participate for their new school," said Wellington.

"Therefore, we have no interest in a student transferring from one school to the next until attempt to represent their new school," said Wellington, who is the principal of St Elizabeth Technical High School.

However, all does not seem lost for the eastern Kingston-based institution, with head coach of the school's track and field programme, Nicholas Pommells, expecting his charges to do well this season despite Anderson's absence.

"I am disappointed that he left because the medal that he won last year has highlighted the school, but the show must go on and we have athletes that are capable of winning medals at Champs this year," said Pommells.