Sun | Sep 24, 2017

Carter gets green light - IAAF confirms sprinter is free to compete pending CAS appeal

Published:Wednesday | February 8, 2017 | 2:00 AMAndre Lowe
Carter

President of the MVP Track Club Bruce James is pleased with news that embattled club member Nesta Carter will be able to resume competition even as his legal team finalises submissions for his Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) appeal.

Carter was disqualified from the 2008 Olympic Games after retroactively testing positive from those Games, for the prohibited substance methylhexanamine. He was last month stripped of his and the country's 4x100m relay gold medal won at Beijing 2008.

However, in a bit of good news for the 31-year-old sprinter, the IAAF yesterday confirmed to the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA), that the 2013 World Championships 100m bronze-medal winner is eligible to compete pending the CAS procedure.

"We are pleased with the IAAF's position on Nesta's ability to compete and the fact that he has not been suspended from competition, based on the communication received from the JAAA based on what the IAAF said," James told The Gleaner yesterday.

 

FIRST RACE

 

Carter will compete in Montego Bay this Saturday at the Milo Western Relays as a member of MVP's 4x100m team.

It will be his first race in almost 17 months. Carter last competed at the IAAF Rieti World Challenge meet in Italy on September 13, 2015.

The JAAA yesterday received confirmation from the IAAF outlining that Carter had not been issued a suspension after his retroactive anti-doping violation.

JAAA president Dr Warren Blake told The Gleaner that he had received confirmation from the IAAF after writing to CEO Olivier Gers and enquiring about Carter's eligibility to compete.

Gers, who was in the island recently as a guest at the RJR Sports Foundation National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards, and who also had meetings with Blake and other track and field interests during his brief visit to the island yesterday responded to the JAAA president outlining that Carter was free to compete.

"It appears Mr Carter is not provisionally suspended and is eligible to compete in athletics competition pending the CAS procedure," Gers wrote in his response to the JAAA's query after consultation with the IAAF's Medical and Anti-Doping Commission.

Meanwhile, Carter's legal team is currently finalising its submission to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to appeal the sprinter's Beijing 2008 disqualification.

Carter's team has until next week Tuesday, February 14, to fully submit his appeal to CAS.