Wed | Aug 23, 2017

Hart's future to be decided at season's end

Published:Saturday | March 11, 2017 | 3:16 AM
Hart

Manchester City coach Pep Guardiola says that a decision on the future of on-loan goalkeeper Joe Hart will be made in the summer.

This follows the England goalkeeper's statement that he is pretty much surplus to requirements at the club and does not expect to be back at the Etihad Stadium next season.

The 29-year-old is currently on loan at Serie A club Torino having lost his place at City following the signing of Claudio Bravo earlier in the campaign.

Bravo's subsequent struggles - Willy Caballero has been preferred to the Chilean for seven of City's last nine games - have raised questions about the wisdom of this arrangement.

Guardiola recently appeared to close the door on the possibility of a Hart return, maybe prompting the keeper's latest remarks, but the City manager claims nothing has yet been decided.

"I have said many times we will explain about all the cases at the end of the season - the cases of the players that are here, the players who are happy or unhappy and the players who are on loan, Guardiola said.

"Joe is a player for Manchester City and we are going to decide at the end of the season."

Hart, who has 68 England caps, appears to think his future lies away from City.

 

Surplus to requirements

 

"I'd say I'm pretty much surplus to requirements at my parent club at the moment.

"I want to play football, I love to play football. If that opportunity's not going to be given there then I'm going to have to look elsewhere and I may have to make somewhere else my home.

"I don't know where my future lies, in terms of time-wise, because I've certainly had no communication with anyone."