Athletes start leaving for CYG today
Jamaica's team leader for the sixth edition of the Commonwealth Youth Games (CYG), Dalton Bailey, has said that the athletes are in high spirits ahead of today's departure to Nassau, Bahamas.
The CYG is scheduled for July 18-23 at the Thomas Robinson Stadium.
Some members and officials will start leaving today while others will make the trip from Saturday until Tuesday.
"I think the make-up of the overall team is the best at this time, especially in track and field," Bailey told The Gleaner yesterday.
"We have to stay within the stipulation of the age group which is 14-17 and we have put together a good team," he added.
BEST NOT AVAILABLE
He also explained that because of the IAAF World Under-18 Championships that is currently taking place in Kenya, some of the best talent is not available for the CYG.
"We could have better representatives in athletics but some of the athletes are in Kenya," Bailey pointed out.
Bailey said that the CYG is about friendly rivalry among the participating countries.
"The Commonwealth Games is a friendly one and highlights personal development, bonding and competition in a sporting way. At the end of the day when we win medals, we want to be gracious about that," he added.
The 2017 CYG will feature nine sports and will introduce three new ones - beach soccer, judo and beach volleyball. The CYG started in 2000.
Team management: Dalton Bailey (team manager); medical - Dr Richard Bonner; Denzil Williams (physiotherapist); Darasan Williams (masseur).
- Females - Johnelle Thomas (100m, 200m mixed relay); Shannette Allison (100m, mixed relay), Terice Steen (400m, mixed relay), Annakay Allen (200m, mixed relay), Aliesha Shaw (400m, mixed relay).
- Males: Kevon Stone (100m, 200m, mixed relay), Taejmer Miller (100m), Ramone Lindo (400m, mixed relay), Tarees Rhoden (800m), David Tomlinson (long jump, mixed relay), Christopher Brown (shot put, discus), Cobe Graham (shot put, discus).
- Coaches: Michael McIntosh and Megan Copeland.
- Females - Tiana Schroeter, Taylor Little, La-Tavia Russell, Melissa Abrahams, Rockesha Dayes, Danae Walters, Kadeena Howell, Stacyann Claire, Kimesha Allen, Rena Gordon.
- Team manager: Jean Nelson; manager: Raymond Anderson. Coach: Andrew Price.
- Males - Dante Smith, Shavar James.
- Females - Lisanne Roofe and Abigail Thompson; coach: Galasheu Bonner.
- Jerone Ennis, Gilbert Vaz (coach).
- Ilana Blackwood; coach: Evan Williams.
- Brandon Reid; coach: Carlton Simmond.