Boycott sorry for 'unacceptable' remarks about WI
Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott has apologised for making an allegedly racist comment while discussing knighthoods handed out to West Indies cricketers.
British newspaper The Daily Mirror reported yesterday that the 76-year-old Boycott said he would need to "black me face" to get a knighthood after seeing the honour handed out like "confetti" to West Indies greats such as Viv Richards, Garfield Sobers and Curtly Ambrose.
Boycott responded to the newspaper article by tweeting that what he said was "unacceptable," adding: "I meant no offence but what I said was clearly wrong and I apologise unreservedly." He said he has "utmost respect" for West Indian cricket.
Boycott, an outspoken pundit, is reported to have made the remarks at a question-and-answer session during a break in play of England's day-night Test against the West Indies at Edgbaston last week.
Australia's tour match cancelled after flooding
DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP):
Australia's two-day tour match against a Bangladesh XI has been cancelled because of concerns over contaminated water following recent flooding at the ground.
Australia coach Darren Lehmann and skipper Steven Smith visited the Khan Shaheb Osman Ali Stadium in Fatullah on Monday and decided it wouldn't be fit for play yesterday and today.
"The ground wasn't deemed up to the mark," Bangladesh Cricket Board media and communications committee chairman Jalal Yunus said. "Some parts of the outfield remained wet so they didn't want to play the practise match there."
The visitors now will continue regular training session at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium ahead of the two-Test series, which starts August 27.
"It's a shame for both of the sides," said Lehmann, whose team will enter the series with just an intra-squad trial in Australia last week as warmup. "The BCB has been fantastic trying to get us the game. The amount of rain hasn't helped.