Thu | Oct 18, 2018

Gayle happy despite St George's draw

Published:Sunday | October 8, 2017 | 12:00 AMRobert Bailey
St George's player Romario Harding (left) comes under heavy pressure from Vauxhall High's Jordan Scarlette in their ISSA/FLOW Manning Cup encounter at Vauxhall High School yesterday. The game ended in a 1-1 draw.

St George's College's assistant coach, Marcel Gayle, said he is not too concerned about his team's form, this after they were held to a surprising 1-1 draw by Vauxhall in their ISSA-FLOW Manning Cup Group D encounter at the Vauxhall High School yesterday.

Despite the draw, the Georgians, who were dropping their first points of the season, remain atop the group with 22 points, while Vauxhall are fifth on seven points.

Gayle admitted that it was a tough game and noted that he was pleased with his team's efforts.

"That is just how the game goes sometimes. The results will not go in your favour all the time, but I think that a draw will justify the way we played," said Gayle.

"We are pretty all right because we came back from a goal down, and so we showed a lot of tenacity and we showed guts, and so we are deserving of this point," he continued.




Gayle added: "These are youngsters, and so we just have to keep them focused because they can make some sloppy mistakes at times, but we are not too worried about that."

Vauxhall's coach Keon Broderick said that he was also happy for the point.

"We have not been training coming into this game, and for them to come out here and play this quality of football and to get a draw, it is satisfying for us," said Broderick.

"I think that we outplayed this St George's team for long periods of the game, but the only thing that we didn't do is to score our chances," Broderick said.

Troy Nosworthy stunned the Georgians when he outjumped two defenders to head the ball into the back of the net to give Vauxhall the lead in the 36th minute.

However, striker Akeem Robotham netted the equaliser for the Georgians in the 53rd minute.

Vauxhall came close to securing the victory, but their striker, Javaughn Weise, fired high over the crossbar from the penalty spot.