Tue | Oct 23, 2018

Bigger boost for KC's Atkinson

Published:Thursday | November 2, 2017 | 12:00 AMRobert Bailey
Jamaica College's (JC) Shaneil Thomas (left) dribbles past St Catherine High Jahmarie Henry (right) during their ISSA/FLOW Manning Cup encounter at Stadium East yesterday. JC were comfortable 3-1 winners.
St George's College's goalscorer Akeem Robotham (right) battles Kingston College's (KC) Davian Shakes for possession of the ball during their ISSA/FLOW Walker Cup encounter at Stadium East yesterday. KC won 2-1 in extra time to advance.

Substitute Dwayne Atkinson said he is more motivated than ever after scoring a brilliant extra-time goal to lead Kingston College (KC) to an exciting 2-1 victory over North Street rivals St George's College and into the semi-finals of the ISSA/FLOW Walker Cup competition at the Stadium East field yesterday.

Calabar will play Bridgeport in today's quarter-final action at 2:20 at the Constant Spring Sports Complex.

The 15-year-old Atkinson, who was brought on by KC's coach Ludlow Bernard in the 26th minute, arrived at back post to head home a well-placed Rashawn Mackinson cross.

"I feel great that I was able to get the winning goal and make us have a chance to win the Super Cup and Walker Cup," said Atkinson. "This gives me the motivation to show the fans and my opponents that I am coming for them."

KC's captain Javain Brown had earlier given the Purples the lead in the ninth minute of play.

However, St George's captain Akeem Robotham netted the equaliser for his team in the 21st minute.

St George's head coach Neville 'Bertis' Bell was gracious in defeat, noting that he was happy with his team's effort.

"I am very proud of the George's team, we played really hard and so I thought we played well," said Bell.

"The Kingston College team is a quality team and I congratulate them and they have done really well all season because they still have not lost and this is our second loss and this is football, you win some and you lose some," Bell added.

Meanwhile, in the opening match of the double-header, defending Manning Cup champions Jamaica College (JC) also booked their spot in the semi-finals with 3-1 win over St Catherine High.

Tyreke Magee (4th minute), Saqlain Waul (50th minute) and Milton Walford (81st minute), were the scorers for the Miguel Coley-coached JC.

Maleke Miller scored the consolation goal for St Catherine in the 90th minute, with Coley leaving the venue particularly pleased with JC's execution in the opening half.

"I think from the first half, we had the initiative because we played the ball around, we got a couple chances and we missed a few, but I think it was a good performance from us," said Coley.

"I think it is very important that we build on this, but we have some players that we have to rest especially with the fact that we have the Super Cup and Manning Cup coming," he said.

Meanwhile, St Andrew Technical also advanced to the semi-finals after a 5-4 penalty kick win over Holy Trinity at the Constant Spring Sports Complex.

This after both teams played out a 1-1 draw and full and extra time.


JC 3-1 St Catherine

KC 2-1 St George's

Holy Trinity 1-1 STATHS (4-5 penalties AET)