BK announces '3Mendously Awesome' Superstakes
Burger King has announced that it will return for a third consecutive year as title sponsor of the annual Superstakes Race Day. The event will be held on Saturday, November 11, 2017 and will also feature Popeyes, Little Caesars Pizza and Coca Cola as sponsors.
To mark the event being dubbed "3Mendously Awesome" Burger King has announced an increase in their contribution to the purse to an impressive $3 million, up from the $2.1 million spent last year.
Sabrena McDonald Radcliffe, head of sales and marketing at Burger King announced at a press conference at Caymanas Park on Monday that "during the 39th staging of the Superstakes, Burger King will also honour horse racing legends who have achieved major firsts in local horse racing. This is a continuation of the brand's tradition of honouring various individuals who have contributed to the development of the sport in Jamaica."
"We're looking at the first owner and breeder of a Jamaican horse to win an international title, we're celebrating the owner with the most titles and the most wins in any given season, among other milestones. This is about recognising those awesome moments that have excited and thrilled horse racing fans over the years", McDonald Radcliffe said.
Honourees will include:
1. Joseph "Fudgie" Duany, owner/breeder of the horse "Miracle Man" - the first Jamaican hose to win a Caribbean Classic race in the Confraternity Classic in Puerto Rico.
2. Winston Griffiths, OD and Phillip Feanny, OD, holders of the most conservative classic victories.
3. Winston "Fanna" Griffiths OD, first jockey to ride 1000 winners.
4. Kenroy Leiba, who won a race at odds 891-1.
5. Richard Azan who has the most owners' titles.
6. George HoSang, OD, who for over two decades had the most wins in a season at Caymanas Park.
7. Wayne DaCosta, OD, who also has the most wins in a season.
McDonald Radcliffe said that the "3Mendously Awesome" Burger King Superstakes will feature the "Racetrack Runway-Awesome Jeans". This year's staging will highlight BK's commitment to creating Awesome experiences for customers, as being highlighted in our current radio and TV commercials. We want our patrons and fans to jazz up their favourite jeans with a fashionable blouse or shirt; creating a style that is both chic and classy, while remaining relaxed. This is our third year on the track, all three of our quick service restaurant brands are on board, and we are working to make the day a thrilling one," she explained.