Mon | Aug 20, 2018

Calabar shock Clarendon in Super Cup

Published:Saturday | November 11, 2017 | 12:00 AMKavarly Arnold

Western Bureau:

Calabar High ARE the first team to advance to the semi-finals of the ISSA/FLOW Super Cup after defeating Ben Francis Cup champions Clarendon College 4-3 at the Montego Bay Sports Complex yesterday.

The competition will continue today at the same venue with another two games. The opening match of the doubleheader will see 2017 Walker Cup champions Jamaica College taking on beaten Ben Francis Cup beaten finalist Dinthill Technical at 5:00 pm. In the second match, beaten Walker Cup finalist Kingston College will tackle the Vassel Reynolds-coached Rusea's High at 7 p.m.

Meanwhile, coach of Calabar High Lijyasu Simms told The Gleaner that his boys played to instructions, which made it easier to apply the tactics to counter a very good Clarendon team. He noted they exposed Clarendon's weakness and commended his boys' performance.

"What we observed during the game is that they (Clarendon) push high and leave the flanks open, so we exploited it. It bore fruit for us today, so we just have to keep working as we go forward," said Simms. "I think my team went out there today and displayed guts. I'm proud of the boys. I lift my hats off the players and once they keep fighting like this the rest will be history."

Clarendon's 100 per cent win record was also broken with this defeat, however, coach Byjeon Thomas pointed to what he called a bad day for them, refusing to blame the short recovery time for their poor performance and will now turn his attention to the daCosta Cup semi-finals.




"It's just that today we chose to have a bad performance, but we will just have to come together, console each other and just get ready for the semi-finals," said Thomas.

"It's always easy making an excuse, it was just a bad day we don't know why we will sit down and analyse why we had that," he added.

Calabar got off to a blistering start finding the back of Clarendon's net in the first minute off the boot of Khalfani Brown. Captain Ricardo McIntosh found the equaliser for Clarendon College in the 14th minute to take things level to the break.

Clarendon came back from the break strong taking the lead in the 50th minute before Calabar's striker Collin Anderson returned fire scoring his hat-trick in short order (58, 64 and 69) to give them a 4-2 lead. Antonio Reid scored the consolation for Clarendon in the 87th minute, but it proved too little too late.

St Elizabeth Technical defeated St Andrew Technical 4-3 on penalties in yesterday's late contest.