Mon | May 20, 2019

JC in Super Cup semis

Published:Sunday | November 12, 2017 | 12:00 AMKavarly Arnold
Jamaica College's Tyreek Magee (left) dribbles past Dinthill Technical's Ky-Mani Campbell in the quarter-finals of the ISSA/FLOW Super Cup at the Montego Bay Sports Complex yesterday. JC won 3-2.


Walker Cup champions Jamaica College (JC) advanced to the semi-finals of the ISSA/FLOW Super Cup yesterday after surviving a stern test from Dinthill Technical High in an action-packed match at the Montego Bay Sports Complex.

Led by two goals from star player Tareek Magee, JC won 3-2. They were pegged back twice after taking the lead.

Assistant coach Andrew Peart said JC are happy with the result, which puts them in the next round, although they were not at their best.

"Not the best performance so far this season, but the most important thing is getting through to the next round. We were very passive today, and as a result, Dinthill were always in the game as they got passes through to their three attackers," said Peart. "We had some possession in spaces where we could generate chances, so those were good," he added.

Dinthill's coach, Curtis Hamilton, said his team's display was an improvement from the Ben Francis KO final as they were never out of the game. He, however, believes that the result could have been a lot different if they had not conceded some soft goals.

"I think we played well all through the game against a good JC team. It's just unfortunate for us to give up soft goals in the game. Nevertheless, there were some positives to take from this game going forward," said Hamilton.


Magee gave JC lead


Tyreek Magee slammed home a well-constructed team goal in the 33rd minute to give JC the lead. Dinthill's AndrÈ Fletcher, however, cancelled it out two minutes before the break, lifting a free kick over the wall that dipped through the hands of the goalkeeper, Khari Williams, to send them into the break level at 1-1.

Tyreek Magee was again on the scoresheet 13 minutes into the second half with a long-range shot that took a deflection before beating the goalkeeper to his right. Dinthill were again on level terms eight minutes later when Shamari Davis swept home a low cross from playmaker Kaheem Parris.

Supersub Gavin Thorpe was the hero for the Walker Cup champions, netting, after a goalkeeping blunder left him with an empty goal and he sent a bullet of a shot into the roof of the net.