Sat | Dec 16, 2017

Sports Briefs

Published:Friday | November 24, 2017 | 12:00 AM

Hierro back as sports director

MADRID (AP):

The Spanish football federation has rehired former player Fernando Hierro as its sports director.

Hierro had been in the job for four years from 2007-11 when Spain won the 2008 European Championship and the 2010 World Cup.

The position had been vacant since he left.

Hierro spent most of his career as a defender for Real Madrid, finishing his playing days with Bolton Wanderers in England in 2005.

He played in four World Cups with Spain, from 1990 to 2002, and two European Championships, 1996 and 2000.

 

UEFA starts disciplinary move against Bayern

MUNICH (AP):

UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Bayern Munich after their fans vented their frustration about ticket prices for the side's Champions League game at Anderlecht.

The fans held banners during Wednesday's game saying, "Are your necks not full? Is your greed now finally satisfied?"

UEFA said yesterday that it was charging Bayern with two alleged offences - an 'illicit banner' and the 'throwing of objects,' with the case to be dealt with by its ethics and disciplinary body on December 7.

A Bayern fan group, Club Nr. 12, issued a statement on the day of the game saying Anderlecht had made 85 per cent of the tickets available to the German club's fans priced at €100 (US$118).

"Even by the standards of the generally high-priced Champions League, this represents a new dimension for a first-round game," said the statement, which thanked Bayern for supplementing the tickets sothat fans could pay €70 (US$82.50).

Everton moves closer to leaving Goodison Park

LIVERPOOL, England (AP):

Everton moved a step closer to leaving their Goodison Park home of 125 years by signing a lease for land at the site of its proposed new stadium.

The Premier League club says that the signing of the 200-year lease at a so-called "peppercorn rent" means that the club effectively controls the land upon which the new stadium would be built.

Robert Elstone, Everton's chief executive, said yesterday the club would look to finalise a funding agreement with the local council and prepare for the submission of a planning application in 2018.

The proposed new stadium is at Liverpool's Bramley-Moore Dock.