Fri | Dec 15, 2017

Black Caps bracing for WI backlash - Hesson

Published:Thursday | December 7, 2017 | 12:00 AM
Hetmyer

HAMILTON, New Zealand, (CMC)

Despite a crushing win in the opening Test in Wellington, the Black Caps are not writing off a West Indies fightback in the second and final Test starting here Saturday.

The Caribbean side played poorly to lose by an innings and 67 runs inside four days, to fall 1-0 behind in the two-match series.

However, head coach Mike Hesson said recent history suggested that the Windies would could back stronger at Seddon Park, and stressed his side needed to be prepared for the backlash.

"We've seen how well the West Indies have bounced back in previous series, so we certainly expect them to do that," he said.

"History suggests they are [a threat]. In England they got dealt a pretty severe blow in the first Test and then came back at Headingley and beat England.

"We're certainly expecting them to sustain pressure over a longer period of time."

West Indies showed their character against England last August, rebounding to stun the hosts by five wickets at Leeds just days after slumping to an embarrassing innings and 209-run loss inside three days at Edgbaston.

The core of that same side has travelled for the current tour, with the likes of Kraigg Brathwaite, Shai Hope and Roston Chase all expected to suit up against for the second Test.

At the Basin Reserve last week, West Indies showed glimpses of their quality, especially through Brathwaite, Shimron Hetmyer and seamer Kemar Roach, but Hesson said New Zealand had been able to stay patient.

West Indies will be without their captain, all-rounder Jason Holder, for the second Test after he was suspended Tuesday by the International Cricket Council for his second overrate offence in 12 months.