Tue | Aug 14, 2018

Sports Briefs

Published:Saturday | December 16, 2017 | 12:58 AM
Eric Bailly

Man U face three months without defender Bailly

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho says Eric Bailly will be sidelined for up to three months after ankle surgery.

The centre back has not played since the November 5 trip to Chelsea in the Premier League after being injured while on international duty with the Ivory Coast.

Mourinho says Bailly "goes to surgery, the decision is made. I don't say (he's out) for the rest of the season but it's for the next two or three months."

United are second in the Premier League, 11 points behind Manchester City.

 

 Bedene back with Slovenia

LJUBLJANA, Slovenia (AP) -Aljaz Bedene is returning to play tennis for his native Slovenia after competing for Britain since 2015.

The 49th-ranked Bedene said yesterday he has notified the International Tennis Federation that he will compete for Slovenia as of 2018.

Bedene's decision was prompted by his desire to compete in the Davis Cup and the 2020 Olympics, which he could not do under the British flag after losing an appeal with the ITF.

"At this stage in my career I don't want to miss the opportunity to compete in the Davis Cup and the Olympics, two events that mean so much to me," the 28-year-old Bedene said.

Bedene, who received British citizenship in 2015 and has lived in England since 2008, was the country's No. 2 behind Andy Murray.

 

Lille fire coach Bielsa

LILLE, France (AP) - Lille have fired coach Marcelo Bielsa after suspending him last month following poor results.

The club said in a brief statement yesterday it has "terminated the contract" with the Argentine coach.

After finishing 11th last season, Lille hired Bielsea with the lofty aim of qualifying for the Champions League.

Lille also recruited more than a dozen new players, but the team struggled badly. Lille are in 18th place ahead of  today's game at Dijon.

A four-man coaching team has been in provisional charge of Lille since Bielsa's suspension.

FIFA suspends Brazil FA boss Marco Polo del Nero

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Marco Polo del Nero was suspended yesterday as the head of the Brazilian football confederation, a move that could bring him closer to facing trial in the United States on charges of wire fraud conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy.

FIFA said Del Nero was under an ethics investigation and has been banned for 90 days from all football activities.

Del Nero fled Zurich in May 2015 when other FIFA colleagues were arrested. They included Jose Maria Marin, who was at the time the head of the Brazilian confederation, known as the CBF. Marin and two other South American football officials have been on trial in New York on the same charges that Del Nero could eventually face.