Sun | Feb 18, 2018

SVGFF boss denies knowledge of FIFA ban

Published:Saturday | January 6, 2018 | 12:00 AM

KINGSTOWN, St Vincent (CMC):

President of the St Vincent and the Grenadines Football Federation (SVGFF), Venold Coombs has denied being banned from football administration for two years by the sport's world governing body, FIFA.

"I don't know what you are talking about," he told CMC Sports this week.

Coombs further offered to answer any other questions in a face-to-face interview and said he would be available anytime the following day Thursday.

However, on Thursday, Coombs said via an agent that he was unwell and would be unable to attend the interview.

The agent said Coombs had come down with a sore throat.

Coombs' denial comes amid widespread reports from sources familiar with football administration in SVG that FIFA had given him one month to appeal the alleged two-year ban.

A well-placed source said Coombs had confirmed last year that FIFA had asked him to show cause why he should not be banned for two years, over a matter relating to his administration's handling of World Cup tickets.

A source familiar with FIFA's disciplinary proceedings pointed out that if Coombs was facing a ban, FIFA would make it public only after appeals had been heard and dealt with.