Can Leon Bailey qualify to represent England?
There are reports that Jamaica-born football star Leon Bailey is being chased by the England management. The following are some of the requirements to become a British national:
1. Naturalisation - He must live in the United Kingdom (UK) for at least five years and intend to naturalise.
2. Born in the UK - If born in the UK or lived there since birth; if his parents or grandparents were born in the UK.
3. Descent (parents) - A parent (a father or mother) who naturalised before the child's birth, or who was born in the UK before 1983, and have been classified as British otherwise than by descent. That parent can hold a British passport and pass British nationality to their children, irrespective of where the children are born.
4. Double descent (grandparents) - He could also qualify by virtue of having a grandparent born in the UK. If adopted, he qualifies as long as the UK recognises the adoption..
5. Gifted/talented - There are provisions for those gifted in sports, music and arts. The most common situations for the gifted usually happen when a child is born in the UK; resides in the UK for at least seven years; is married to a British citizen or a person with permanent residency status in the UK.
6. Non-standard claim - There are also non-standard cases. This is done on a case-by-case situation to validate claims.