Mon | Jan 21, 2019

Melbourne, UWI advance to Senior Cup final

Published:Sunday | April 22, 2018 | 8:00 PMJermaine Lannaman

The University of the West Indies (UWI) and Melbourne CC will contest the final of the Jamaica Cricket Association Senior Cup after registering contrasting wins over Manchester and St Catherine respectively in semi-final action yesterday.

The Robert Samuels-coached UWI progressed to their first Senior Cup final via the newly-installed tie-breaker rule of average runs-per-wicket throughout the season, after their match-up ended in a no-result at Manchester High.

Melbourne, in the meantime, defeated St Catherine CC on first-innings at Chedwin Park.

Resuming the second and final day in a strong position at 111 without loss, UWI, beaten one-day finalists two seasons ago, went on to score 344 for six in their first innings.

Former national Under-19 batsman Leonardo Friginette, who was on 41 overnight, led the way with 166, while his overnight partner, Chadwick Walton, added 15 runs to his overnight 65.

Jamaica Under-15 captain Sanjay Walker, bowling leg-spin took two for 28, while national off-spinner Jamie Merchant, claimed two for 63.

Manchester, in their turn at bat, reached 59 for two. Windies Under-19 batsman Brad Barnes 30 and Keashaun Beale, 24, made most runs.

"It is the first time we have progressed to the Senior Cup final, the premier tournament in the country, and for that we are delighted," stated Samuels.

"It is a good accomplishment for us as after being admitted in the top flight a few years ago, we have progressed to one-day final, and now the two-day equivalent."

Over at Chedwin Park, Melbourne, after resuming on a commanding 252 for three, went on post 445 in their first innings.

Batsman Jon-Ross Campbell, not out on nine overnight, went on to hit 126, while Assad Fudadin, who resumed on 97, made 110.

Jamaica Under-19 batsman Javell Glenn, 86, and Steven Taylor, 42, also got among the runs.

Part-time pacer Williams, three for 31 and Jeavor Royal, three for 83, picked up most wickets.

St Catherine, who scored 146 in their first innings, batting a second time, then reached 134 for three with Williams scoring 64 and Kennar Lewis getting 49 against Damion Jacobs two for 35.

Jacobs ended with an eight wicket match haul after claiming six for 25 in the first innings.

"We were very disciplined and patient in our bowling, and that was the difference," said Melbourne coach Andrew Richardson.

"They were at one stage 70-odd without loss at one stage in their first innings, but the experience of bowlers turned things around."