Sat | May 30, 2020

Mid-season champs! - Waterhouse Women see off Arnett for first silverware of season

Published:Sunday | August 19, 2018 | 12:00 AMMarc Stamp/Gleaner Writer
Waterhouse Women's Khedine Salmon (right) evades a slide tackle from Arnett Gardens Women's Kadian Edwards during their Jamaica Football Federation/Lascelles Employees and Partners Co-operative Credit Union mid-season final at Winchester Park, Kingston yesterday.
Waterhouse Women football team coach Xavier Gilbert.

Waterhouse's women team head coach Xavier Gilbert was disappointed with his team's performance despite a come-from-behind 2-1 victory against Arnett Gardens in the Jamaica Football Federation/Lascelles Employees and Partners Co-operative Credit Union mid-season final.

Arnett went into the lead when Shaday Shirley struck a 20-yard shot that beat Waterhouse goalkeeper Tiana Schroter in the 38th minute. However, national Under-17 striker Christina Salmon equalised when she slotted into an open goal on the stroke of half-time. Khedine Salmon (no relation to Christina) netted the winner in the 76th minute.

Gilbert said his players did not play as a team, but he is happy to win the first silverware of the season.

"It was a tough game, but I think we made it tougher than it looked. I don't think that both teams did any justice to the spectators that were at the game," he said.

"It was more about the individuals than the team, but I am happy to have won the game. I am totally disappointed in the performance of the team," he lamented.

Losing coach Denton Shedden was disappointed that the team failed to win after taking the lead.

"I am very disappointed as we took the lead and got a number of chances after that. We lost the game 2-1, but I am pleased with some aspects of the performance," Shedden said.

Arnett started the game as the brighter team and deservedly took the lead. However, Waterhouse, with many former and current Jamaica representatives, lifted their performance and scored twice for the victory.

Waterhouse captured the trophy and $120,000, while Arnett walked away with $100,000.

The league will continue on Wednesday with four games in the return round.