Mon | Feb 24, 2020

Mbappe sees red after scoring late goal

Published:Sunday | September 2, 2018 | 12:00 AM
PSG's Kylian Mbappe (left) and Nimes' Gaetan Paquiez vie the ball during the League One match between Nimes and Paris Saint-Germain at Jean-Bouin stadium in Nimes, southern France, yesterday.


Kylian Mbappe scored a brilliant late goal and got sent off right at the end of Paris Saint-Germain's pulsating 4-2 win at Nimes in the French league yesterday.

Two weeks after coming off the bench to score twice against Guingamp, he bailed out PSG with an unstoppable 77th-minute strike to make it 3-2.

Chasing down a high ball on a PSG counterattack, Mbappe cushioned it expertly on the inside of his right foot without breaking stride, directing the ball into his path so he could then lash a fizzing shot into the roof of the net.

PSG have won all four games and lead Dijon and Toulouse by three points.

With seconds remaining, Mbappe reacted to a late challenge from midfielder Teji Savanier and shoved the player forcefully to the ground.

Referee Jerome Brisard, who showed Mbappe a yellow card for petulantly kicking the ball away in the first half, instantly brandished a red. But the 19-year-old star of France's World Cup-winning campaign was berated by his own goalkeeper Alphonse Areola for his wild reaction. Savanier was also sent off.

Mbappe will get an automatic one-match suspension but does not regret what he did.

"If it happened again, I'd do the same thing and I'd say sorry to all the fans and everyone else, but I can't tolerate this kind of thing," Mbappe said. "If it's the same foul when a player's trying to go for the ball, that's no problem, but he had no intention to go for the ball."

Neymar and winger Angel Di Maria put PSG seemingly in control at 2-0 by half-time.

Then at 2-1 with 20 minutes remaining, Thiago Silva caught the back of midfielder Theo Valls' leg as he turned inside the penalty area. Brisard waved away penalty calls but changed his mind after video review. Savanier equalised from the spot and Nimes had clawed back from 2-0 down.