Tue | Aug 4, 2020

Light Blues rule at Stadium East

Published:Wednesday | October 17, 2018 | 12:00 AMLivingston Scott
Damani Harris (right) celebrates a St George's College goal with teammate Chantomoi Taylor during the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup second-round match at the Stadium East field yesterday. St George's won 4-1.


It was a day for the 'Light Blues' at the Stadium East in the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup second-round first-leg double-header at the Stadium East yesterday with St George's College and St Catherine High emerging with wins against Mona High and Charlie Smith High, respectively.

St George's scored a comfortable 4-1 win over Mona, thanks to a brace from Emelio Rousseau while St Catherine stopped Charlie Smith 3-1 with a double strike from Jevaughn Cole.

Both teams are confident of consolidating their advantage when they meet for the return game tomorrow at the Spanish Town Prison Oval.

"We see where we can exploit them and we will see how we can exploit those weak areas. So we will go to the drawing board and work on it the next two days," Marcel Gayle the St George's assistant coach said.

Although he thought his team should have scored more, he said four was a reasonable return.

"This is the second round and quality will come to the fore, so getting four goals in a second round game is a plus. We will take it and go forward. The players had a good game, although in the latter parts they just wanted to get the game over because we had won already," he said.

Mona started brightly but Nathaniel Campbell's 12th minute strike cooled their early enthusiasm and late goals from Damani Harris (45th) and Emelio Rousseau (added time) put the game out of their reach. Rousseau added a second early in the second-half from the penalty spot to make it 4-0. Dellneil Pinnock got Mona's consolation goal on 74 minutes.

In the opener, Charlie Smith jumped in front thanks to Ronaldo Cephas but Cole ensured they went in level at the break with a 41st minute goal. John Christoff Pringle made it 2-1 from the spot in the 58th minute, before Cole seal the win with a superb solo goal three minutes from time..

St Catherine's coach Anthony Patrick thought they were the better team and deserved the win, but says the tie is not over.

"We started flat, hence Charlie smith got the go ahead (goal), but we asked them to dig in, concentrate, be disciplined and wait on their moment and it came and we took it with both hands.

"Late in the first-half we took control of the game going into the second-half and it was easy picking from there. But we have another 90 minutes to play and that one will be crucial, so we will have to be calm and discipline and try to consolidate," he said..

Yesterday's results

JC 3 Calabar 0

Hydel 0 STATHS 1

Charlie Smith 1 St Catherine 3

Mona 1 St George's 4