Wed | Oct 28, 2020

Mount Pleasant blank Waterhouse 2-0

Published:Thursday | January 10, 2019 | 12:00 AMRobert Bailey/Gleaner Writer
Mount Pleasant's Suelae McCalla (second right) celebrates his goal with teammates during yesterday's Red Stripe Premier League football match against Waterhouse at the Drax Hall football field in St Ann.

Nigel Stewart, assistant coach of Mount Pleasant, says that yesterday's 2-0 victory over Waterhouse in their Red Stripe Premier League encounter at Drax Hall is a welcome result for his team.

Daniel Green in the first minute and Suelae McCalla in the 63rd were the scorers for Mount Pleasant, who were recording their first win in their last five matches.

With yesterday's win, Mount Pleasant moved up to fifth in the standings on 30 points. Stewart, who is charge of the team while head coach Donovan Duckie serves a three-match ban, said that they are very hoping that the team will keep moving up the standings.

"We were playing for three points, and we got three points. I just hope this a first sign of good things to come because we are working very hard," Stewart said.

Green gave the hosts a dream start when he arrived at the post to tap home a cross from Cardel Benbow.

Waterhouse's striker Rafiek Thomas came close to giving his team the equaliser 10 minutes later, but his shot from 12 yards went high over the crossbar. The visitors were then reduced to 10 players on the stroke of half-time when midfielder Keammar Daley was sent off after picking up a second yellow card.

Mount Pleasant took control of the match with their one-man advantage in the second half and wrapped up the match when McCalla fired home a powerful 25-yard shot against the run of play.

Stewart added that his team played well that they still had a lot more work to do. "The performance was good, but we could have done better in some areas of the field. We will now go back to the training ground and practise and come better for our next game," Stewart said.

Waterhouse coach Marcel Gayle, whose team was suffering its second straight defeat since the start of the year, said he was disappointed with the defeat but praised the efforts of his players.

"Nobody wants to lose, but we finished the game with ten players and so we showed heart because the game could have been six or seven nil, but my guys fought, and I am proud of them," said Gayle.

In another match yesterday, 10-man Cavalier clipped Montego Bay United 2-1 at the Stadium East Field. Nicholas Hamilton (34th) and Kaheem Parris (73rd) were the scorers for the winners who got both their goals after Nicholas Nelson was sent off in the 29th minute.

Cavalier are second in the standings with 37 points, just two behind leaders Portmore United.