Thu | Sep 19, 2019

Wolves tamed at City

Published:Tuesday | January 15, 2019 | 12:00 AM
Manchester City's Gabriel Jesus (left) scores a penalty against Wolverhampton Wanderers during their English Premier League match at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, England yesterday. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)


Gabriel Jesus kept up his scoring spree for Manchester City with two goals in a 3-0 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers in the English Premier League (EPL) yesterday, moving the champions back to within four points of Liverpool.

The Brazil striker has seven goals across three competitions in the past nine days for City.

His opening goal against Wolves was a 10th-minute tap-in following a left-wing cross from Leroy Sane, who was sent free by a searching ball forward from centre back Aymeric Laporte.

When Wolves defender Willy Boly was sent off in the 19th minute for a dangerous tackle on Bernardo Silva, it quickly became a damage-limitation exercise for the visitors.

Jesus added his second goal from the penalty spot in the 39th after Raheem Sterling was fouled by Ryan Bennett.

Piled on the pressure

City piled on the pressure in the second half - they finished the game with 76 per cent possession - but had only one more goal to show for it, with Conor Coady glancing a header into his own net from substitute Kevin De Bruyne's cross.

Since losing back-to-back league games to drop out of the lead and, at one point, seven points behind Liverpool, City have been in relentless form - winning five straight matches in all competitions and scoring 24 goals in the process. Among them was a 9-0 win over third-tier Burton in the English League Cup.

This latest victory moved City five points clear of third-placed Tottenham, which lost at home to Manchester United on Sunday.

Wolves were potentially tricky opponents for City, given their strong record against the top six in the league. Nuno EspÌrito Santo's team drew against City at home in August and recently beat Tottenham.

Boly's straight red card put paid to any chance of an upset at Etihad Stadium.