Thu | Nov 26, 2020

Trainer now recovered from COVID-19

Published:Saturday | September 12, 2020 | 12:10 AMRobert Bailey/Gleaner Writer
METCALFE
METCALFE

Jamaica Racing Commission (JRC) Chairman Clovis Metcalfe said the trainer who recently tested positive for COVID-19 has now recovered from the virus and is set to resume his trade shortly.

There were concerns within the horse racing fraternity last Saturday after The Gleaner reported that a trainer at Caymanas Park had tested positive for the virus.

The stable out of which this trainer works was closed down and grooms that work with him were sent for testing.

Metcalfe says that the trainer and members of his staff, including grooms, were cleared by health authorities last week after he had recovered.

“The trainer has been cleared by the Ministry of Health, so he doesn’t have any COVID-19 or anything, so the track is totally safe, and there are no concerns whatsoever,” he said. “He will resume his work, and the stable will reopen in short order.

“I am feeling great because I feel that everybody is doing what they are supposed to be doing to ensure that the facility remains COVID-19 free.”

Metcalfe said that the JRC and promoters Supreme Ventures Racing and Entertainment are being vigilant to ensure that all the protocols that have been established by the Ministry of Health and Wellness are adhered to all time.

He said that in recent weeks, many persons have been evicted from the racetrack for not adhering to protocols on race days.

“All the protocols have been observed, but we have to constantly monitor it because people tend to relax if we don’t keep going after them.” Metcalfe said.

“It is a daily reminder, so we have to keep emphasising the need for all the stakeholders to observe the protocols at the facility.”

robert.bailey@gleanerjm.com