Sat | Dec 3, 2016

Vendor on phone-theft charge to return to court September 23

Published:Saturday | August 23, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:A St James fruit vendor, who pleaded guilty to stealing a cellular phone, was offered bail in the sum of $50,000 when he appeared before the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Monday.

Twenty-two-year-old Ricardo Kerr, who is of a Montego Bay address, pleaded guilty to larceny from the person on Wednesday, August 13, and is to return to court on September 23. His criminal records are to be brought to court and a social enquiry report is to be prepared to determine his sentence.

Although the allegations were not outlined on Monday, the court was told that Kerr had previously indicated he stole the phone from its owner because he needed money.

"Last time, you said you stole the phone because you needed money, but you said you were selling fruits," presiding magistrate Carolyn Tie reminded Kerr.

"Not at the time, but two weeks before (the time of the robbery)," Kerr replied.

"So how come you weren't selling fruits?" Tie wanted to know.

"The parish council had destroyed my cart ... . I am a good gentleman and hardworking," Kerr explained.

"You had no reason to steal the phone," Tie scolded him.

"I had a three-year-old child in hospital at the time," said Kerr.

Tie subsequently ordered Kerr's criminal records to be brought to court and a social enquiry report to be prepared for him, even as she set his case to be heard again on September 23.

"I am offering you bail in the sum of $50,000 with two sureties. If you take up your bail, you are to come back here on September 23," Tie told Kerr.