Couple on fraud charges to return to court on January 9
The Westmoreland couple who is before the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on a number of fraud charges had their case set for mention on January 9, 2015, when they appeared in court on Monday.
AndrÈ Poorman from George's Plain, Westmoreland, is jointly charged with Latesha Saunders for fraudulent conversion, obtaining money by false pretence, and conspiracy to defraud. Saunders had her bail extended, while Poorman was remanded.
In one of the cases against the couple, it is alleged that in August 2013, they purported to be operators of a tour company, approached the complainants and asked them to lease their buses to their purported bus fleet. They informed the complainants, that they needed to sell their buses and buy new ones, and $2 million was collected from them for this purpose.
When the new buses were not forthcoming, the complainants made a police report. Poorman was arrested on August 28. Saunders was held on September 24.
In another matter before the court, Poorman had approached a male complainant and taken $100,000 from him, purportedly as an investment in a company with which the defendant was affiliated.
In court on Monday, Clerk of the Court Natalie Malcolm told presiding magistrate Natalie Hart-Hines that Poorman had begun repaying money to the complainants.
"The accused man has started restitution ... . On the last three occasions, no money was paid," said Malcolm.
However, Poorman told the court that he did not have any money to pay that day.
"There is no money this morning ... . I am asking until the 9th of January," Poorman told RM Hart-Hines.
"People are getting impatient ... people's patience can only go so far. How much money do you expect to bring?" asked Hart-Hines.
"Over a million, your honour ... . I have some outstanding debts that are due to be paid to me, but due to being in custody, it makes it difficult for me," said Poorman.
The case was subsequently set for mention on January 9.