Tue | Apr 25, 2017

Case against man accused of chopping girlfriend's father to be heard June 8

Published:Saturday | February 28, 2015 | 2:00 AM

WESTERN BUREAU:

The case against a St Catherine man, who is accused of chopping his girlfriend's father during a dispute in 2013, has been set for hearing in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on June 8.

Rayon Thompson, a cabinetmaker originally from Waterford, is accused of unlawful wounding, committed against Roystan Richards. He had his bail extended following his latest court appearance on Monday, after presiding magistrate Carolyn Tie was told that the prosecution's case-file was ready and the matter could be set for preliminary hearing.

The allegations are that on October 2, 2013, Thompson and Richards were involved in a dispute during which Thompson used a machete to chop Richards on his arm and leg. However, on a previous court appearance, Thompson had said that Richards attacked him first.

Richards and his daughter, Roxanne, are also before the court on assault charges arising from the same incident.

On Monday, Tie was told that a number of police station diaries, which Thompson's attorney Chumu Parris had previously requested, had been submitted to the court.

"Have you had sight of the diaries?" Tie asked Parris.

"Yes, and I gather that perhaps a date can be set in the matter," Parris replied.

Tie subsequently set the matter to return on June 8, at which time, the case against Thompson will be heard first.

- Christopher Thomas