Fri | Aug 18, 2017

LIME touches base with disgruntled customer

Published:Saturday | April 11, 2015 | 4:00 AMChristopher Thomas


A St James taxi operator, who reportedly hit a policeman with his vehicle while trying to escape the lawman's attempts to give him a traffic ticket, was remanded when he appeared in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

Kelvin Stewart is charged with dangerous driving, assaulting a police officer, unlawful wounding, resisting arrest, and failing to report an accident. He was remanded until April 15, as his case-file was not complete.

The allegations are that on February 8, the complainant (the policeman) was at Sam Sharpe Square, Montego Bay, when he saw Stewart soliciting passengers with his white Toyota station wagon, which had public passenger plates attached. The officer approached Stewart to give him a ticket for his actions.

Stewart opened the door of his car as if to exit, but suddenly started the engine and reversed, hitting the officer with the car door and squeezing the lawman's boot with the wheel of the car He then sped off, driving through a red light along St James Street and evading another officer's efforts to stop him. The officer, who was hit, sustained a swollen foot and injuries to his knees and elbow.

attempted arrest

It is further alleged that on March 21, the police saw Stewart and attempted to arrest him, but he pulled away from them and ran along Market Street. He was chased and held. He was subsequently taken to the Barnett Street Police Station where he was arrested and charged.

On Tuesday, clerk of the court Yanique Henry told Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tie that several documents were outstanding from the prosecution's case file.

"There is an identification parade form that is outstanding ... also, the medical certificate in relation to the wounds sustained by the complainant is outstanding," said Henry, who added that a number of police statements were also outstanding.

Tie subsequently ordered that Stewart's fingerprints should be taken, and that he be remanded until April 15.