Toronto Mayor Rob Ford withdraws re-election bid after abdomen tumor diagnosis
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford withdrew his re-election bid today as he seeks treatment for a tumor in his abdomen.
Ford's move ends a campaign he had pursued despite a stint in rehab and persistent calls for him to quit amid drug and alcohol scandals.
However, he announced his brother would run in his place, saying "we cannot go backwards."
Rob Ford will instead seek a seat on the City Council, after a nephew withdrew his candidacy.
"My heart is heavy when I tell you that I'm unable to continue my campaign for reelection as your mayor," Ford said in a statement. "I have asked Doug to run to become the next Mayor of Toronto, because we need him. We cannot go backwards."
Doug Ford, a city councilor who had been the conservative mayor's campaign manager, submitted his papers to run for mayor in his brother's place.
He will face two other major candidates in the October 27 election.
Ford's decision came two days after he was hospitalised and the tumor was discovered.
Biopsy results won't be back for a week and a definitive diagnosis is pending.
"As many of you know I've been dealing with a serious medical issue, the details of which are unknown. But I know that with the love and support of my family, I will get through this," Ford said in a statement.
The mayor will now seek a seat representing a district in his home suburb of Etobicoke, where his brash everyman style and conservative fiscal policies first gained a faithful following that became known as Ford Nation.
WATCH: The Gleaner Minute