Sat | Dec 10, 2016

Government to cut back on number of armoured vehicles

Published:Thursday | February 19, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Government to cut back on number

of armoured vehicles

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC):

The Trinidad and Tobago government will cut back on the number of armoured vehicles to be used in the fight against crime as a result of falling oil and gas prices, National Security Minister Carl Alfonso has said.

But, speaking on television recently, Alfonso, who recently took over the national secuiy portfolio from dismissed minister Gary Griffith, said there were no plans to abandon the idea of bringing in the vehicles to help in the crime-fighting strategy.

"We will be going forward and they will be reviewing. They are going to come as soon as possible. They will be coming. They may not come in the numbers that had first been announced, for obvious reasons. We don't have as much money to spend," Alfonso said.

Government had announced plans for the vehicles as part of a strategy that also includes the use of drones, helicopters and off-shore patrol vessels.

But the oil and gas prices have dropped from a high of US$106 a barrel in June lst year to under US$50 dollars last week.